That's not what the Death card means
written 2005-11-04 12:15:00
Thanks to everyone who sent well-wishes. They were warmly received and made for a very busy day, communications-wise.
Good birthday! Didn't skip class, wasted a lot of time writing a lot of journal entries that I won't be posting. Putting unreasonable expectations on oneself to have something noteworthy to say every half-hour or so is really impractical. I'm still not entirely over the needlessly self-important feeling that having a webjournal inflicts on me.
Eh. Anyway, on the to good stuff:
- Did you know that Congress has greater (that is, more unrestrained) power to enforce the XIII, XIV and XV Amendments because of clauses in those amendments providing them directly with that power. Other acts or statutes rely on clauses in the Constitution which are subject to interpretation and the weight of precedent. It's true.
- Did you know there is a drink called an Adios, Motherfucker? It's true! I had to drink one. It was blue, and was not harsh in the least. I attribute my subsequent performance of "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story to this drink.
- Did you know I can do a mean "I Feel Pretty" in both falsetto and bass? It's true! (though, I wanted a chance to do the back-up parts, you know, the "la la la" part?)
- Did you know that a Jamesons on the rocks and an amaretto sour from the Regal Beagle (I'm not making that up, either) have a combined cost of $13? It's true! Which makes no sense, since it's a dive bar. I'm told the presence of a college in the town makes all this explicable. I will not accept that.
- Did you know Marilla is an extraordinarily patient woman? It's true! She not only got thrown into unfamiliar social circle (gamers, no less), but she simultaneously managed to put up with my drunk, silly ass. Thanks, baby.
- Did you know that my request for page feedback in the second post below elicited no less than eight positive responses from Bear? It's true! The first was, "A continuation of the lack of hardcore nudity." And he's right, there is no hardcore nudity on this site! Gracias, el Oso.
- Did you know that Gary Larson, Bill Watterson and Berkely Breathed all sit around a pool in my mind, drinking and endlessly amusing one another? It's true! Though I did steal that mental image. I think an Onion A/V Club interviewer described that scene to Breathed, who said he was unwilling to deny such a lovely thought.
Whew. Lots of fun last night, and thanks to everyone that came out. Actually, those people are all local, and I think the readership of the page here is all extralocal. I'll thank them in person.
The 30s aim to be an exciting decade in the life.
11.04.05, 12:15 PM, EST, Ada, Ohio, Dire Straits' "Heavy Fuel"